Wednesday, October 20, 2010

happiness is contentment

Contentment is seeing a pink flamingo on St. Croix when they haven't been seen in years and years.  i know this is a fuzzy picture but seeing this tall bird in our beautiful water is mind blowing to say the least.  Having never seen one outside of a zoo, the feeling of contentment was overpowering.  That bird was magnificent.

Throughout our lives there is the outside clamoring, ringing against our psyche, which asks the question “Are you happy?”

“Are you happy?”

This has been a philosophical dilemma for millennia. 

How do we define happiness and what constitutes being happy? 

i’ve always thought that loving yourself is the first step, loving all your faults and attributes, but hell, i don’t know the answer  to "Are you happy?" any more than any one else does.

And, i’m not going to write about happiness because it is an impossible subject, one where too many go to find unhappiness.

But i will talk about contentment.

The sea gives me a warm feeling of connectedness, makes me want to celebrate, enjoy myself, have fun out there, whoop it up and tell the world if they aren't in the water they are missing out.  The mountains do the same when i hike or ski or just enjoy.  Watching nature in any environment certainly fulfills my need to be contented and at peace with the world.  Having peaceful relations with family and friends is important too, and being honest with everyone is a good thing. 

So is being at peace happiness…or is it being contented, i don’t know?

The daily drama of our lives fluctuates so much between frustration and elation that i think any definition of happiness is lacking.  No one explanation suffices for all of us.  We all have our own definitions of happiness and what makes us happy.   

Here’s mine.

Happiness is so broadminded, so idealistic, that it defies definition.

Now being content is easier, it can mean living in the moment with your family, loving having lunch with a close friend, walking in the dark with your neighbors, enjoying a swim with all your buddies, connecting when you are in the grocery store line, doing the best you can at your job and accepting what you have.

A Jewish poet and philosopher born in Spain had this to say about contentment.

“Who seeks more than he needs, hinders himself from enjoying what he has. Seek what you need and give up what you need not. For in giving up what you don’t need, you’ll learn what you really do need.”  Solomon ibn Gabirol




4 comments:

leslie said...

Happy, contented and blessed! We are so fortunate we can even spend time talking about it.

Tom said...

Hi Sheelagh, your brother Kevin mentioned your blog to me a couple of weeks ago but I really haven't had time to peruse your thoughts until this morning. I like your perspective and love the photographs, did you take all of them? Sadly, I have become too cynical to believe that accepting others will ever be a majority trait here in America. Actually, I’ve come to suspect that many of our societal problems are built-in remnants of evolutionary stratagems designed to promote survival. “My tribe needs the food and will kill yours in order to survive” etc..
I have doubts as well about the survival of American democracy. My family has been involved one way or another in this country’s business since before the Revolution. I’ve long said that my ancestors made a bet that ordinary people could run their own affairs and that since I inherited a piece of that gamble I haven’t any choice but to continue to put my money on the line. But the wisdom of the founders may not be up to Rupert Murdoch and News Corp’s Fox News. And with people like the Koch brothers buying public opinion Jefferson’s notion that the Republic can stand only as long as we have an informed electorate is truly put to the test. The right-wing attacks on education and science have been all too effective. Most of the people I work with (I’m a county road worker) do not accept evolution, and do not believe that global warming is real.
I don’t want to sound all doom and gloom. The bet is still on and the country may weather this storm. But the plutocrats seem to have the upper hand just now. Tom Strother StrotheratWillow@msn.com

Sheelagh Fromer said...

Hi Tom,

Yes all the photos are by me. If you look back through the archives you will find loads taken all over St. Croix.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm an optimist and agree an informed populace is the only way to reform politics as we know it today. The only way to do that is to keep countering the lies. I'm relentless and I don't shut up, plus I've found it works if you do it in a manner that is easily understood. I'll put you on my list so you will be notified when each new entry is up.

tom said...

Thanks Sheelagh, I'll look forward to your next posting - keep up the good work. Kevin & I had a talk about religion last week & I wrote out a rather extended addendum to our conversation. If you'd be interested I'll send you a copy when I get your e-mail address.

You have a wonderful talent for putting your thoughts into text - and your photographs are great!

Tom